THE INSTITUTE OF CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANTS OF KENYA
(Established under the Accountant Act, Laws of Kenya)
Forensic Audit Practical Skills Workshop
Theme: Embracing Modern Day Approaches to Fraud and Internal Controls
Date: 7th – 8th November, 2019
Venue: Hotel Sapphire, Mombasa
According to the PricewaterhouseCoopers Global Economic Crime and Fraud Survey 2018, 75pc of Kenyan managers have experienced fraud in the last 2 years. Economic crime continues to be a dominant item on the business agenda, and no industry sector, region or size of business is immune. Fighting fraud has progressed from being an operational or legal matter to a central business issue.
The corporate environment in Kenya is tackling a wide range of issues; pervasive technology, escalating expenditure, procurement irregularities, weak revenue streams, increased demand for value and weak governance. This state is worsened by fraud and corruption, which causes financial losses, reputational damage and erosion of employee morale. These have been occasioned by advancements in technology and rapid improvement in skill sets and creativity of perpetrators. As a result, greater challenges are faced in responding to and curtailing fraud.
Today, there is increased demand for applications and skill sets of forensic auditing and investigation to establish and maintain an effective system of internal control to prevent, deter and detect fraud. Auditors, both external and internal, must have a thorough knowledge of fraud detection and prevention to effectively fulfill their mission. They need to be alert for any red flags that could be indicative of fraud, improper or unlawful expenditure, unauthorized operations, and inefficiency. Last, but not least, accountants need to maintain an in-depth knowledge of fraud and how it can be detected and prevented in order to maintain the financial integrity of any organization, large or small.
This workshop promotes discussion of potential ethical dilemmas that accountants may encounter and how to audit the ethical climate of an organisation. It will equip participants with knowledge of:
- Anatomy of an Internal Fraud Investigation:
– The investigation lifecycle, from discovery through to the internal investigation
– Investigation interviewing techniques
– Understanding the mindset of a fraudster
– Identifying best practices and risks associated with each step in the investigation
- Upping Your Game – Fighting Fraudsters with Cutting-Edge Technology
– Investigating Cyber Threats
– Applying best practices in selecting and employing new anti-fraud technologies
– Fraud Analytics using Descriptive, Predictive and Social Analytics
- Bridging the Gap – Employing Fraud Risk Assessment to Guide Investments in Fraud Mitigation
– Interpreting and applying the outcome of your fraud risk assessment
– Applying targeted fraud risk mitigation initiatives to high risk areas (wet areas)
– Integrating anti-fraud controls with control framework
- Contract and Procurement Fraud
– Why is procurement a wet area in terms of fraud
– Fraud schemes pre, during and post procurement
– Frauds relating to contracting and contract management,
– Role of internal audit in preventing and detecting procurement fraud
– Third-Party Relationships and the Associated Frauds
- Case Study: Catching the modern day Money Launderer
Auditors/investigators, Insurance Auditors/Investigators, Risk and compliance managers, Independent auditors, finance managers, academia, Internal Auditors, Accountants, managers/controllers, purchasing managers, ICT Security managers and directors, Government Auditors, Lawyers and Magistrates/judges, Managers of security companies, anti-corruption officers, local government accountants, Management Consultants, NGOs Staff
Kindly note that booking is available either online at www.icpak.com/events or on the ICPAK Live – A smart phone based application that is available from Google store. Delegates are advised to book early for planning purposes.
Charges for this forum are as provided below:
Continuous Professional Development (CPD) Units
Members of ICPAK will earn 14 CPD points upon successful attendance. Enquiries may be directed to us via telephone on +254 732 352476 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.