THE INSTITUTE OF CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANTS OF KENYA
(established under the Accountant Act, Laws of Kenya)
THE 2ND ANNUAL BOARD TRAINING
Theme: Effective Governance & Risk Management In Times Of Crisis
Venue: Sarova Whitesands Beach Hotel, Mombasa
Dates : 7th to 11th June, 2021
The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted into tremendous developments around the globe with great impact on governance and accelerated risks in both large and small organizations. This situation has thrown Boards and management teams in organizations into uncharted territories and faced with hard decisions to make. The risks facing those charged with governance are enormous and requiring constant re-evaluation of corporate strategies and risk mitigation measures.
As the effects of the Covid 19 Pandemic are coming to the fore, it is a critical time for Board Members, Senior Executives and Aspiring Directors to develop the necessary skills that would necessitate the development of resilient return to work plans as well and strengthen the internal controls for the organizations they oversee. This Board Training will provide an avenue for Directors to share knowledge and key lessons on critical governance aspects regarding the main strategic priorities for businesses in the region during the recovery period, lessons on effective virtual oversight, leadership skills and setting the right tone at the top in setting the risk appetite frameworks for their organizations. The panelists will also share lessons on effective strategic plans and the technological advancements as well as the necessary controls to be employed while working remotely. The ICPAK Board Training will shed light on board-specific strategies to mitigate risk and maximize opportunities. The participants will get the right skills, tools, and frameworks for action plans to address challenges and boost their board’s performance.
Internal and external opportunities and challenges mean that boards must sometimes manage change and/or implement new approaches to maintain success. Change management also includes preparation for change, developing winning plans for succession. This Board Training will help your board develop the right strategies for change management and create advance plans for seamless change in times of transitions.
It is believed that Corporate governance is the basic framework from which effective risk management takes shape. Corporate governance elaborates the division of responsibility within the organization for risk management, and determines the means with which, at each level, risk management will be implemented.
All these considerations must take place in a pandemic environment and be seen to work well to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 and its related variants which are continuing to ravage businesses and individuals. The ICPAK Board Training, especially if undertaken by the whole board at the same time, can help board chairpersons and members drive such positive board culture.
It is against this background that the Institute has organized its second Board Training to discuss these critical developments which affect governance, and which have resulted into new risks for organizations. To guide the discussion during the Conference, the following shall be the main topics of discussion:
- Effective Governance during turbulent and uncertain times
- Leadership skills required in a time of crisis.
- Risk management strategies following the effects of COVID-19
- Why risk management is crucial in a crisis.
- Strategy formulation in an uncertain environment (dealing with risk)
- The role of Boards in setting the risk appetite frameworks and in Enterprise Risk Management implementation programs.
- Important financial management considerations in an uncertain environment
- Working Capital Management
- Profitability vs financial sustainability
- Establishing resilient and streamlined internal controls to deal with emerging risks.
- Leveraging technology to deliver on strategic objectives – Important controls to implement with the requirements of working remotely.
- Cybercrimes and recent technological trends
- The role of the Board in strategy review and formulation processes
– Aligning economic realities and macro-economic trends with the organizational strategies.
- Business Continuity Plans and Disaster Recovery- Important considerations for Boards during and post the pandemic.
- Assessing financial distress in an organization
- Ration analysis
- Trend analysis
- Industry benchmarks
- Brand development for effective visibility of corporate entities and boards
- Embracing digital transformation for accelerated growth
- Strategies of evaluating Board performance and positioning the organization for growth.
- The role of the Board in understanding and contributing to improvement of audit opinions.
- Ethical considerations and integrity for the effective board member
- Integrated reporting and developments in sustainability reporting
- Integrated reporting considerations
- Sustainability reporting frameworks
- Relationship between regulatory compliance and annual reporting
CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT UNITS
Members of ICPAK and those from reciprocating professional bodies will earn 20 CPD units upon successfully attending all training sessions.
Members of Corporate Boards, Private and Public Audit Practitioners, Public Sector Accountants, Chief Finance Officers, Finance Directors and Managers, Governance advisors, Internal Auditors, Professionals working in County Governments, Academia, and other interested stakeholders.
The charges are Kshs. 80,000 for both members and non-members. The fee is exclusive of transport and accommodation. However, it caters for training fee, training materials, certificate and meals during the conference.
NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL TRAINING AUTHORITY (NITA) REIMBURSEMENT
The Institute is registered as a trainer with National Industrial Training Authority. The Institute’s registration number is DIT/TRN/47. Participants who are registered levy contributors should apply to NITA for reimbursement of their fees. Please note that this is applicable for Kenyan citizens only and subject to NITA regulations. Remember that to qualify you should apply to NITA for approval prior to the date of the conference. Further details can be obtained from their website (www.nita.go.ke).
The training presents a perfect opportunity for organizations to showcase their products & services to a target group with high purchasing powers, both on personal and corporate levels. You will also have a unique opportunity for brand positioning and communication that will enjoy optimal visibility. Armed with significant purchasing power and decision-making authority, the audience are a key target group for businesses. For more information or inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further inquiries, kindly contact Emma Opiyo at email@example.com; with a copy to: Joy Wanyonyi at firstname.lastname@example.org; Reach us on call: +254 719 074000/129
We encourage members to regularly visit our website www.icpak.com for updates.