HEAD OF COMMUNICATION (MANAGER) –GRADE 4
JOB REF: EHC/1606/21
The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) is the professional organization for Certified Public Accountants in Kenya established in 1978 and draws its mandate from the Accountants Act No. 15 of 2008 (which repealed Accountants Act Cap 531 of 1977). Since then, ICPAK has been dedicated to development and regulation of the accountancy profession in Kenya so as to enhance its contribution and that of its members to national economic growth and development. In its endeavor on institutional strengthening, ICPAK is seeking to recruit dynamic, self-driven and results oriented individual to fit in a team that will propel it to a World Class Professional Accountancy Institute.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, he/she shall co-ordinate the presentation of the public face of the Institute to a variety of interested parties, including government, stakeholders, donors, employees, regulatory bodies, the media, local communities, and pressure groups. Foster good internal communication to motivate and unite staff.
The Manager Communication shall head the Communications & PR Department and advise the Chief Executive and management on communications and public relations function.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build excellent working relationships with the Council and in particular the Chairman and Vice Chairman, the Chief Executive and the Senior Management team and the technical staff, which are essential to fulfilling the responsibilities of the position.
- Develop and implement the ICPAK Strategic Communications Plan including overseeing the budget related to the Communications Strategy.
- Undertake research into and remain abreast of current and emerging social, economic, political, market and stakeholder trends and issues affecting the accountancy profession in Kenya and internationally and ensure that Communication materials are developed that reflect the current environment.
- In consultation with and on behalf of the Council and Chief Executive, research, write and edit press releases, articles, media backgrounders, key messages, briefing notes, newsletters and other materials regarding ICPAK and its work including editing or adapting material for publication.
- Research, write and edit speeches, PowerPoint presentations and other external messages for the Council and Chief Executive.
- Manage the development, production and distribution of ICPAK’s Communications materials including the Accountant Journal, the E-Connect, web based communication among others.
- Develop and build good relationships with the media so as to ensure high-quality media coverage and exposure for ICPAK and its activities.
Technical Competencies & Skills required to perform in the job:
- MS Office Suite – Advanced
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, with the ability to adapt style to suit different audiences and communicate complex and nuanced issues to the media.
- Report writing skills
- Facilitation skills
- Strong communication skills
- Highly analytical
- Strong Risk Management Abilities
- High integrity
- Detail oriented
- Excellent planning and organizing skills
- Risk control oriented
- Quick Thinker
- Change management skills
- Knowledge of Corporate Governance
Behavioral Competencies required to perform in the job:
- Builds Trust
- Honesty / Fairness
- Interpersonal Skills
- Positive Attitude
- Recognizes Others’ Achievements/Contributions
- Resolves Conflicts Constructively
- Respect for Others
- Supports Diversity and Understands Related Issues
- Understands Others’ Perspectives
- Commitment to Continuous Quality/Process Improvement
- Customer Orientation
- Displays Vision
- Flexibility/Adaptability to Change
In addition, he/she should have the following skills:
- Ability to work independently
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality about all communication matters
- Team player and effective team leader
- Ability to deliver with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, verbal and written skills with experience in development of Board papers and possess excellent performance review and analytical methods and techniques
- Ability to work effectively under time pressure and constraints
- Ability to execute multiple assignments within set deadlines
- Highly motivated, energetic, go getter and a self-starter
- Strong negotiation, influencing skills, and ability to persuade people
- Strong management and supervision skills with ability to supervise a diverse team.
- Must have managed or supervised at least 5 or more staff in the past two years
- Experience in dealing with different stakeholders and diversified viewpoints, and ability to look at issues from multiple dimensions
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Academic Qualifications: Relevant Degree and relevant post graduate qualifications (Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing)
- Professional qualifications: Relevant postgraduate diploma or certification qualifications
- Minimum 8 years’ working experience with 5 years’ relevant experience in Communication, Media, Public Relations, Journalism, Communication, image building or other similar roles in a management position
- Membership to relevant professional body in good standing.
- Proficiency in IT related software preferably, Corel Draw, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Illustrator.
Candidates will be required to satisfy the requirements of Chapter six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 including:
- Certificate of good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (CID)
- Valid Tax Compliance Certificate from the Kenya revenue Authority (KRA)
- Clearance Certificate from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Clearance for the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
- Clearance from the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should email their application letter accompanied with a detailed CV in PDF format clearly indicating their current and expected salary to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be received on or before close of business on Tuesday 12th October, 2021.
ICPAK is an equal opportunity employer and qualified applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.